So, as we have said before, we DO have a little sweetheart that we are planning to adopt. But, until it is set in stone (i.e. in writing....in blood...) we are hesitant to share much info. But I felt that I wanted to share one detail of our lil lady....it might help people understand, even more, why we feel such a sense of urgency to get her home to us.
She is Roma.
Roma are a subgroup of the Romani people[1][2] (also known as "Gypsies" although this term is considered pejorative[3]), who live primarily in Central and Eastern Europe, as well as in the Balkans and Western Anatolia, and as recent immigrants in Western Europe and the Americas. Roma is also used as a synonym for the whole Romani people.
Why do I feel inclined to share this? Well, we have heard several times that there is a stigma attached to Roma children. We also knew that they are undesirable and unwanted by many. I was kind of skeptical about the whole thing. I mean, seriously, what makes these children any different?? Then I got an email from our caseworker. I wanted to share a paragraph in that email:
It is a commonly known fact that Roma children are also discriminated against, and sometimes segregated, within school as well. Because of this, the attendance rate of Roma children in school is far less then ethnic Bulgarians (about 60% compared to 90%). Within the larger Roma communities, some “Roma schools” have developed, which as the name suggests is only attended by children of Roma descent. These schools have an inferior quality of education and lack many basic necessities to be a positive schooling environment. Bulgaria also has special schools that children with learning disabilities, health, or emotional problems attend. Many of these specialized schools act as internati (boarding schools). Unfortunately many of the Roma children are sent to these specialized schools, even if they don’t have any needs that would suggest this would be a more appropriate learning environment for them.
As Always, Please join us in praying for our sweet lil lady. She is beautiful, precious, made by God.....Perfect. Whether the world sees her that way or not...she is Perfect.
Trusting God Always,
The Mama
